EVOKE Testing

Today I went in for what they called EVOKE testing.  This was three different tests.  They had to wire me up first.  The technician commented that I would be really easy to wire.



The first test was the Somatosensory test.  If you look on my forearm, you can see little patches.  This is where they hooked up the electrodes and sent a pulse of electric in my arm.  They did the left arm first followed by the right.  The technician commented that this can take anywhere from 20-40 minutes.  The more I was relaxed, the faster it would go.

It didn’t hurt and didn’t feel like getting a shock. It felt more like someone thumping the inside of my hand and then I could feel the pulsing going up my middle finger.  It was cranked up until my hand started twitching.

Each arm took about 17 minutes for me.

After that was the auditory test.  They put a headphone on me and had to test each ear.  One ear would get a clicking noise which sounded like a loud woodpecker. The other ear would have static.  I was told to focus on the clicking noise.  The ear with the clicking was the one being tested.  I was told if I fall asleep that would be good.  I don’t know how anyone could fall asleep with that noise.  The lights were turned down for both the electric and auditory test, but I didn’t fall asleep.

Each ear took about 10 minutes.

After that, we went to the visual test.  It felt good to sit up after laying on my back for so long.



There was a computer screen in front of me.  It had a bunch of white and black squares, like a chess board.  In the middle was a red dot. I had to focus on the dot.  This was done for both the left and right eye.

Each eye was pretty quick.  Maybe 5 minutes each.

After that I was given copies of the read outs, but no real interpretation.  The technician indicated that she didn’t know how to interpret it, but just looked for the peaks.  She mentioned that if there were no peaks, that was not a good thing.  But I had peaks.

I didn’t see the actual doctor in this visit.  No blood was taken either which I thought they would do.  That may be done on the 17th when they do the lumbar puncture.  For now, I will just have to wait a week and a half for the lumbar puncture.